Many of you must have heard about the gastric bypass surgery, which is a kind weight loss surgery. While doing gastric bypass surgery, the surgeon will make few physical changes in your stomach as well as in small intestine to change the way you digest or absorb food.
With gastric bypass you can help in your weight loss by:
- You can restrict your quantity of food that you can hold in your stomach
- Also, the number of calories and nutrients that your body can absorb will be limited
- It can change your gut hormones, that can help you to feel fuller for much longer time, which will also contribute in suppressing your appetite and reverse your metabolic syndrome caused by obesity.
In this procedure, bariatric surgeon will create a small pouch which will bypass stomach and will attach to your intestine. You can expect estimated weight loss of about 70 to 80 percent of your excess weight loss within the next 2 years.
You may also visit the website https://www.bmioftexas.com/blog/complete-guide-expect-gastric-sleeve-surgery/ to know more details about BMI of Texas who can undertake this kind of surgery.
What can you expect after this gastric bypass surgery?
After surgery during first month, you can handle only small amounts of soft foods and liquid. After that, gradually, you may add few solid foods into your diet.
After you have eaten just 2 tablespoons of food, you will notice that you are immediately feeling full. Also, your physician too will recommend to take nutritional supplements.
Just within the initial 2 years, you may hope to lose 50 to 65% of your excess weight. Your weight loss may continue, for next one and half year before you stabilize.
How your gastric bypass surgery will be performed?
Gastric bypass surgery can be performed in any one of the two ways:
- In the first method, the surgeon will use laparoscope and will make several smaller incisions in your abdomen or in stomach area.
- In second method, which is a traditional type of surgery which is done with a 10” to 12” incision in your abdomen.
How can gastric bypass help you to lose weight?
There is a small pouch which will limit the amount of food intake that you will be able to eat. Also, since it will be connected to your intestines, it will reduce the calories that your body can absorb.
Few advantages of the gastric bypass
Following are few advantages of such gastric bypass surgery:
- As compared to other surgeries for weight loss, gastric bypass surgery has longest track record
- You will get much more weight loss as compared to any other method
Few downsides of gastric bypass
However, there are few disadvantages of this procedure too which are as follows:
- Dumping syndrome, due to which there can be abdominal cramps, diarrhea and nausea if more sweets/chocolates are eaten
- Recovery time can be longer
- Surgery is permanent
- Few other nutritional/mineral supplements are also needed
- More surgery will be needed as compared to other methods and hence the risks can always be higher.