One of the main factors that cause disability and death is brain stroke. More than 5 million of people are left partially or permanently disabled due this medical condition each year. It is a disruption in the flow of blood to a part of brain. This obstruction leads to damage of brain cells. Signs appear suddenly without any prior warning but vary depending on the affected part of the brain.
Types of Stroke
- Ischaemic strokes: It occurs when the artery is blocked due to clot leading to a break in blood flow to the brain. It can be caused due to a blood clot or fatty deposits narrowing an artery.
- Haemorrhagic Strokes: It occurs when artery that supplies blood to the brain ruptures and starts leaking blood inside. This causes pressure within the area and damage brain tissue resulting to loss in function. It is a rare case but the effects are deadly and severe.
- Transient is chaemic attack: It is also known as mini stroke. It is a temporary blockage in the flow of blood to the brain. It results due to a clot that dislodges quickly letting blow flow again.
There are many Private clinics in Harley Street, London that provide information for the above mentioned conditions.
Factors Contributing to Stroke
There are many factors that lead to a brain stroke. The risk factors that cannot be controlled are:
- Growing older
- History of brain stroke in immediate family members
- Previously suffered mini strokes
There are many factors that can be controlled to prevent this medical condition. Some of them are as follows:
- Heart condition or disease
- High blood pressure
- Excessive consumption of alcohol
- High cholesterol level in the blood
- Irregular heart rhythm
Normally, strokes do not occur with a pre-warning. The symptoms experienced by different people do not match usually due to the area affected in the brain. Common signs of a stroke are:
- Severe headache
- Loss of vision
- Memory loss
- Loss of co-ordination or balance
- Sudden numbness
- Paralysis on the side of face, arm or leg
- Slurred speech
Effects of Stroke
It can cause permanent or partial loss of function in a patient. The degree and type of paralysis is characterized by the area of the brain affected. Various treatments can reverse this loss of function in a patient. There are many medical centres in Harley Street that provide treatment for this medical condition.
Some of the effects of this medical condition include:
- Impaired vision
- Permanent paralysis of the affected side of face or entire body
- Difficulty in speaking
- Numbness or pain due to change in temperature or movement
- Difficulty in swallowing food
- Unable to control emotion and depression
If you are looking for a Private Medical Centre in London Medical Express Clinic can be a good option. We provide world class treatments and with our qualified and experienced doctors, your health will be in safe hands.